Training your team and ensuring everyone’s knowledge is up-to-date are important CPD triggers for you. We suggest that you get the team together for a training session based on the activities below and discuss the various ways in which you can offer customers and patients added care in this category.
Subject: Flu jabs
This Train Your Team checklist provides support and information to run a team training session on flu vaccination in the pharmacy. This content can also be used for your own CPD.
- Can the pharmacy team explain the benefits of having a flu jab to people who are eligible?
- Do they know which groups of people are eligible for the flu vaccine as part of the new national pharmacy service?
- Is the pharmacy team confident about recruiting pharmacy customers who may be eligible for the flu jab?
- Have I considered providing the flu jab outside the pharmacy (e.g. in a care home setting)?
- Do we need any other training to be able to provide this service effectively?
Ensure your support staff understand the following key points:
- The importance of the flu jab for eligible people
- How to identify customers eligible for the flu jab
- Who should and who should not have the flu jab
- Why the pharmacy is an appropriate place for providing a flu vaccine service
- The importance of helping people with long-term conditions (e.g. asthma, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, depressed immune function) who are at risk of or have contracted flu
- When to refer customers with coughs, colds and flu to the pharmacist.
Action. I will ensure:
- We have clearly visible information in the pharmacy on the flu vaccination service
- The pharmacy team is appropriately trained to provide information on the flu jab
- We are all confident about playing our part in providing this service
- My pharmacy assistants are able to meet the points in this training checklist
- What is herd immunity and why is it important? What implications does this have for flu vaccination in people of any age who are eligible?