Training your team and ensuring everyone’s knowledge is up-to-date are important CPD triggers for you. We suggest that you get the team together for a training session based on the activities below and discuss the various ways in which you can offer customers and patients added care in this category.
Subject: The menopause
This Train Your Team checklist provides support and information to run a team training session on helping customers cope with tiredness and fatigue. This content can also be used for your own CPD.
- Can my staff identify the common and less common menopausal symptoms?
- Does my team have the confidence to deal with women suffering from menopausal symptoms in a sensitive manner?
- Do we counsel on self-help measures for the menopause?
- Have I read the menopausal guidance published by NICE?
Ensure support staff understand the following key points:
- The changes that occur in the body to cause the menopause
- Symptoms of the menopause
- Lifestyle issues that can make symptoms worse
- Health risks associated with early menopause
- Self-help measures for women during menopause
- The value of complementary therapies for menopausal symptoms
- Benefits and risks of HRT
- Where to signpost women for additional resources
- When to refer customers to the pharmacist.
Action. I will:
- Ensure that the pharmacy team is confident and sensitive when dealing with customers who may be suffering from menopausal symptoms
- Ensure they can offer these women re-assurance and information on effective self-help measures
- Train my pharmacy assistants to ensure that they can meet the points in this training checklist.